Outdoor Activities for Kids
In this article you will find more than 50 free and fun outdoor activities for kids! Find hours of fun with these awesome, free outdoor activities for kids of any age!
No matter the season, there are always plenty of fun things that you can do outside as a family to spend wonderful time together!
50+ Free and Fun Outdoor Activities for Kids!
- Go for a bike ride.
- Ride scooters.
- Visit cousins or set up a play date with friends to play outside.
- Go to a free or outdoor music concert.
- Go for a drive up the canyon.
- Visit a state or national park on a free day.
- Go camping somewhere free—even if it’s just in your backyard some of the time.
- Swim in an outdoor pool.
- Go swimming in a pond, lake, or river.
- Go tubing in the river.
- Go for a walk or hike.
- Skip rocks at a pond or lake.
- Play water games such as a balloon toss or water balloon volleyball or water balloon relays.
- Have a water party with the neighborhood kids where you play water games.
- Go canoeing or kayaking.
- Catch tadpoles or frogs.
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt.
- Ride skateboards or inline skates.
- Play soccer, kickball, or Frisbee.
- Go to the park to play on the playground.
- Play a game of family tag at the park.
- Play hide the button at the park (the hider lets the other children know when they are getting warmer or cooler as they look for the button).
- Find a grassy hill to roll down.
- Find puddles to jump in.
- Fly kites.
- Jump on a trampoline.
- Go for a short run together as a family. (And if you like it, work up to doing a 5k, 10k, half marathon, or even marathon together! #familyrun #familyfun)
- Go on a picnic.
- Go to the zoo on a day when they have free admission.
- Go to outdoor activities at the local library.
- Hunt for shells on the beach.
- Jump the waves at the beach.
- Watch fireworks.
- Go for a nature walk.
- Perform a short skit at a park with an amphitheater.
- Choreograph a short dance routine.
- Gather wildflowers.
- Play games like Red Rover, Red Rover.
- Go stargazing.
- Play in a sandbox.
- Build sandcastles.
- Walk along the beach.
- Find shapes in the clouds.
- Watch a pretty sunrise or sunset.
- Make a simple scarecrow.
- Jump in a pile of leaves.
- Build a snowman.
- Make snow angels (or sand angels, during the summer!).
- Go sledding.
- Go snowshoeing.
- Use food coloring in spray bottles to pain the snow.
There are so many free and inexpensive things you can do to help keep your children entertained! With all of the fun and free outdoor activities for kids that are available, your family will have plenty to do outside all year long!
What are your family’s favorite free outdoor activities for kids? I would love to hear what your family does as well, so leave a comment below!
Invitation to Share
Was there something in this article that inspired you to change something about your money? Are there ideas or tips that you feel could help others? Would you please take a minute to share this article via email or social media? I would love your help to share these principles of financial well-being. Thank you!
Join our new, closed Families for Financial Freedom Facebook group to get support and share ideas for how we can all improve our financial well-being by earning more, spending less, saving more, and investing more and reach our financial goals. You can do this! And we are here to help.